Hello! I seem like a mild-mannered YA author with occasionally pink hair who likes to write about friendship between girls and being awesome and brave and learning how to stay true to who you are and what you want and believe, but ACTUALLY I am very mysterious. Here are ten totally true facts about me that may amaze and delight you but are definitely things you did not know.
1. I type very very quickly. Like, two, three hundred words a minute. I have to replace my keyboard at least once a week and when I go into the computer keyboard store the computer keyboard salesperson shakes their head at me ruefully and says, “boy, you sure do go through these like wildfire!” I pay my money and leave.
2. My favorite book hasn’t been written yet. It hasn’t even been thought of, but it will be. It’s getting ready to be noticed and soon it’s going to be in someone’s head and then they’re going to be typing it so quickly because they are so inspired (but maybe not as quickly as me) and when the book is published I am going to see the cover and instantly recognize the book I’ve been waiting for, for so long.
3. I kind of hate insta-love, but I’m actually a fan of both instant coffee and instant noodles and instant gratification.
4. I look sort of person shaped but am actually a collection of hummingbirds in a men’s London Fog trench coat. This is why I type so quickly.
5. Every time I go to the library I am tempted to stay there all day and then hide quietly in the stacks at closing time and when everyone has gone home and the doors are all locked and the lights are dim, I will build a life-size fort out of all the books in the Art section with book hold slips for curtains and pencils for fortification and the flag will be a book about flags. Then I will escape out the window only to return in the morning to help them clean up and reshelve.
6. Three YA authors I would like to ride in a very small boat with, sharing snacks and telling ghost stories, are Maggie Stiefvater, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Julie Murphy. I have different answers for baking cupcakes alongside, making a bed with, and setting the night sky on fire next to but I would like to do all these things with all the YA authors that ever were. We will be the coolest gang ever.
7. I always say that I want a pony, but secretly I am not sure what I’d do with a pony after I have braided her hair and we have ridden in front of the rebel army to take back the city overrun by evil and return it to a fair and just democracy headed by a council of feminist dragons.
8. My cure for writer’s block is to write, but I still believe napping, not writing, eating all the chocolate in the world until there is no chocolate left, sitting with a blanket over my head and running in circles screaming for mercy are viable options and I will not stop trying each of them until they work.
9. If I had infinite dollars, I would start a publishing imprint that published books by amazing diverse writers writing amazing diverse things and each of those books would be tiny works of beautiful gold embossed art and I would only occasionally suggest that a character should be named after me, maybe?
10. My favorite thing about writing is that I can tell stories that mean something to people who find meaning in them. My favorite thing about writing is that I can make people laugh. My favorite thing about writing is that I can write a screaming epic space battle in the middle of a nebula on the edge of a galaxy and I don’t have to worry about the CGI cost. My favorite thing about writing is that a book can save someone’s life, which I know because books have saved mine. My favorite thing about writing is making up entirely brand-new worlds and words. My favorite thing about writing is you.
Follow the Future Perfect by Jen Larsen Blog Tour and don't miss anything! Click on the banner to see the tour schedule.
Win a signed hardcopy of FUTURE PERFECT, a FUTURE PERFECT SHIRT and FUTURE PERFECT button and magnet (US Only)