1. I was in the 2007 NBA All-Star Game. (As a glorified towel boy, but still.)
2. From third until ninth grade, I had hair past my shoulders, grown out after a friend and I watched the Antonio Banderas film Desperado and decided he was so badass we had to follow suit. What a couple of eight year olds were doing watching Desperado is beyond me.
3. I have an older brother in the hotel industry in Las Vegas, and a younger sister getting her PhD in clinical psychology in Cincinnati.
5. My girlfriend is an elementary school teacher who has travelled way more than I have.
6. During my time at UNLV, I worked as a receptionist, a fundraiser, a supervising fundraiser, a basketball team manager, and a writer of pretty bad opinion articles for the school paper.
7. I’ve been paid to brush my teeth.
8. I can almost, kind of, not really dunk. But if there were some sort of YA author celebrity all-star team, I would probably make the cut. *brushes dirt off shoulder*
9. When I was five, I was annoying an older cousin of mine, who made like he was about to chase me. He did not, but I ran anyway, turning over my shoulder to make sure I was getting away and looking forward again just in time to see that the sliding glass door that led to my escape outdoors was closed. I ran right through the glass.
10. I taught myself how to cook after a summer during college when I flew back home to Mexico City and was stuck indoors because of the rain watching Top Chef. I was struck by the world-changing realization that they could cook themselves amazing things not just when the show was being shot but at any time, and I decided I needed to be able to do the same.